Susana Yee & Kelly Hammond
We absolutely love teaching and are extremely excited to be teaching the 6th grade. We will do our best to provide interesting, enriching, and fun learning activities. Our hope is that our students will acquire a love of learning and the belief that hard work, curiosity, and confidence will enable them to be successful in school and in life.
The 6th grade will be a very important and memorable year. Students will participate in simulations, create projects, and write reports. We will focus on the following academic areas.
Ancient Civilizations: Mesopotamia, Egypt, India, China, and Greece.
Oceanography, plate tectonics, shaping earth’s surface, heat, energy in the earth system, ecology, resources, and scientific investigation and experimentation.
Students will build on skills learned in 5th grade in the areas of number sense, algebra/functions, geometry, statistics/probability, and problem solving.
Houghton Mifflin Reading Anthology, The Cay, Number the Stars, Tuck Everlasting, Julie of the Wolves, The Adventures of Ulysses, and The Giver.
Main focus this year will be on expository writing, but will also write narratives, letters, and news articles.
6th Grade Expectations
- Listen attentively to others – We will listen to each other carefully, making sure that we are looking at the person speaking.
- Speak to others using a respectful tone of voice – We will talk to each other with respect, ask questions, and share information even when angry or upset.
- Show basic respect and friendliness – We will be friendly to one another even if we are not all friends. This includes welcoming and showing interest in one another, and getting to know one another through sharing and
- Have positive work attitudes – We will concentrate and persist even on difficult tasks. We will never say “I can’t”.
- Resolve conflicts peacefully – We will work to resolve conflicts with fairness and active listening.
- Relate to others without bullying – We will treat others with respect at all times, even when things are not going the way we want. This means that we will not use mean words or do mean things to others in our school.
- Complete assignments with care and on time – We will complete all homework and class work neatly, carefully, and on time. We will take pride in our work.