Ann Erickson and Sigi Scigliano
First grade is an exciting year filled with academic growth. We use the Wonders English Language Arts program to foster our young readers and writers. In addition to our Bridges math curriculum, we present a variety of hands on lessons and literature to teach the following concepts: number sense, problem solving, geometry, fractions, probability and money. Our science curriculum currently covers: solids, liquids, gas, air and weather, plants and animals.
We are very fortunate to have a variety of specialists that enhance our curriculum in the following areas: science, art, music, computer and physical education.
We are proud to provide students with a rich curriculum that is sure to be fun and challenging.
Many of the supplies your child will need this year have been provided. Throughout the year we will do a variety of extra activities such as cooking and art projects. If possible, we ask you to consider donating $10 to help pay for extra supplies. (If you write a check, please make it out to your classroom teacher.) Check with your child’s teacher for any additional specific requests.
- I’ve been in education over 40 years, beginning as a preprofessional classroom aide while attending UCSD. When I graduated from UCLA, I began a care as a dance educator. I first came to Mountain View 26 years ago as a parent, and began my current position in first grade 11 years ago.
- I have taught within the Yakama Indian Reservation in Washington State, at a community college, at UCSB and for the Santa Barbara School district as well at all of the GUSD schools.
- I have had a dedicated yoga practice for many years. I grew up in a beach town and a cabin in the woods. I love to be in the ocean and wander the mountains.
- I especially love teaching first grade because it’s a time of many “firsts”. There’s nothing like the joy of launching a reader!
- I love learning and facilitating the growth and nurture of children, our greatest asset.
- Mountain View has continued to be a school with a dedicated and highly educated parent support group. The collaboration between parents, staff and students is invaluable.
- I am looking forward to uplifting the key values and unique presence our school provides the Goleta community and the world beyond.
I believe in living life to the fullest and following one’s dreams. I grew up in NYC and was a professional dancer and stunt woman for over 20 years. I’ve lived and traveled all over this beautiful country performing in shows and lived and performed in Italy as well. I am blessed to have found another passion later on in life…teaching. I’ve been a teacher for over 22 years and have taught everything from kindergarten to university level. I have a Reading Specialist license, English as a Second Language license, NYC and State teaching credentials/licenses as well as California. I truly feel that each person has special gifts and talents. It is my privilege to nurture these gifts within each of my students. You will often find me on the playground playing soccer or wall ball with them during lunch time or recess. I also love having a group of kids in my class during lunch for a lunch bunch a few times during the week.
I am a single mom of an amazing 19 year old daughter who goes to USC. She is double majoring in Environmental Science, Theatre and Dance minor. We spent part of the summer together walking the Camino de Santiago. I started my journey in France walking over the Pyrenees and Emma met me in Leon, Spain. We just got back from Portugal where we finished our adventure … over 600 miles later.
Thank you in advance for your support and I look forward to another wonderful year here at Mt View.