Nate Latta & Rebecca Faanes
Mrs. Bosse and Mrs. Faanes are eager to share with you the variety of topics you will learn about this year. It is a very busy year filled with fun and excitement. We look forward to seeing you!
- Houghton Mifflin Reading Anthology
- Core Literature (a few examples)
- The Sign of the Beaver
- From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler
Math – Flexible grouping between 5th grade teachers
- Glencoe Mathematics (Course 1)
- Topics (problem solving, algebra, fractions,decimals, geometry, percents, statistics, place value)
- Students must maintain an 80% average to remain in the advanced math section.
Writing and Genre focused Independent Reading books
- September – Realistic Fiction
- October – Mystery
- November – Historical Fiction
- December – Fantasy
- January – Letters of Recommendation, Biography
- February – Poetry
- March – Folk Literature
- April – President Report, Science Fiction
- May – MadLibs, Classics
- June – Free Choice
- State Projects and Hyperstudio (in the Fall)
- Native Americans/Exploration
- Life in the English Colonies/Struggle for Independence
- Life in a Growing Nation
- The Presidency and American Government (President or Famous
American report in Spring)
- Earth, Physical, and Life Systems (Body Changes Unit)
I am in my 17th year of teaching, and my 8th here at Mountain View. I have taught mostly 6th grade during my career, but have also taught 2nd and 5th. I love the 5th grade curriculum and have a special interest in that grade, so I am very excited for the chance to be there this year! I am also really excited to work with Dr. Lauer, and I feel like this is going to be an amazing year at Mountain View! I have many hobbies and interests but my main 3 are sports, reading, and music. (my fave) I am married to a wonderful woman who is an amazing teacher, and I am the proud father of 2 beautiful children. I love teaching because I enjoy the challenge of meeting all my students’ needs and helping make them the best people they can be.
I have been teaching for 6 years, the past 3 years teaching fifth grade. I have been at Mountain View for one school year, and was previously at Ellwood and Foothill schools. I have also taught sixth grade and was a GATE specialist. When I am not in the classroom, I am spending my time with family. We enjoy hiking and going to the beach, as well as cooking our Sunday family dinners. Teaching was something I always wanted to do, though I was the first teacher in my family. I love teaching for so many reason, but when I watch a child have that “light bulb moment” where everything clicks, that is why I teach. I love to see a child persevere through a challenge and find success because of work they put in. I joined Mountain View in 2017, and I am so happy that I did. There are many unique qualities of our school, but the strength of the community is one that I love. It is a feeling that you get once you step on campus, and I think our children are lucky to have so many people supporting them. I look forward to many years of working with this community, watching our students push themselves and grow, and seeing my own children succeed at our school.